Wow, 30 years! There are so many things that can happen in 30 years. In 30 years we have seen the invention of the MRI and ATM, we have seen Mainframe computers turn into the iPad I type on now. We saw the fall of the Berlin Wall and the fall of the Twin Towers. Today, I watched the owner of our company receive his 30 year service award. In 30 years with the help of his family, his partners, banks and dedicated employees he has grown our organization from a small Texas firm with an annual earning of just under $1,000,000 to the largest firm in the US with $1.4 billion in sales. However, what was most impressive to me about today's event was seeing his award presented by his 83 year old father while his children, who have recently entered the business, watched from the sidelines. This family has been through trials and tribulations both personally and professionally together. Here they stood all together to celebrate. The father gave a very touching speech and plenty of pictures were snapped. Three generations of this family...what a truly wonderful story to tell!
As I watched, it reminds me of my own family. No, we don't own a business (thankfully!) but the closeness and love. I couldn't help but think how fortunate that I am to have known some of my great-grandparents. Even more rewarding is my son not only knowing his great-grandparents, but has a relationship with them. My siblings, cousins and our children are able to hear stories and memories of events that most people will only read about in books. We get to learn manners and values that have long been forgotten or simply ignored. We get to make our own memories to share with our grandchildren. 30 years seems like such a short time when you think of the years my grandparents have experienced and the changes they have seen. To think, I get the benefit from their knowledge!
Today's Blessing: I am blessed to not only have my grandparents, but more importantly I am blessed to have a relationship with my immediate family and extended family.




No comments:
Post a Comment